Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas thoughts and wishes

I like Christmas. I won't admit that too often in conversation, but I do. This is the one time of year that the same songs you sing on Sunday morning are the songs you hear blasting from the speakers at your grocery store. I enjoy the smells and feels of Christmas, too: cookies, cinnamon, pine trees, snow, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. I especially love seeing people come into the grocery store in elf hats and light up Christmas sweaters.

With all the merriment that goes on at Christmas time I have a few thoughts that I'd like to reflect. As much as I appreciate a giant lit up Grinch next to the baby Jesus on someone's front lawn (sorry William), I can think of better uses for that money going into next month's PG&E bill.

1. Christmas is about giving -Why not buy a gift for a homeless child, or a family in need. Heck, pay the utility bill for a struggling family. I don't even want to know how many families are without heat this winter.

2. Christmas is about sharing- What about buying hot chocolate and donuts for your local shelter. Better yet, go and serve a meal there yourself. Since you are going there anyways, dig through your closet and find some extra coats and shoes that you don't really need in the first place.

3. Christmas is about family- Now I don't think this is has to be your biological family. There are kids and as well as adults without anyone to really call a family. On mother's day this year I took two girls (that weren't my biological daughters) out to lunch and spent the day with them. May I suggest to you to invite a lonely person to your Christmas celebration and buy them gifts to unwrap just like everyone else. Trust me, it will be worth it.

4. Christmas is about receiving -Jesus offers the best gift that anyone will ever receive (I know that sounds really cliche). Lastly (I promise), you can use the money you save ditching the blow up snow globe lawn ornament to give to missions. Lottie Moon is a program to help raise money for missions in other countries. Missionaries need funds to live, just like everyone else, and resources to help spread the gospel.

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! God Bless.

No comments: